CompactPCI® Serial CPU Card
Intel® XEON® E3 v6 Mobile Workstation Processor
or 7th Generation Intel® Core™ Processor
The SC5-FESTIVAL is a rich featured high performance 4HP/3U CompactPCI® Serial CPU board,
equipped with an Intel® Xeon® E3 familiy mobile workstation processor (Kaby Lake Halo platform)
for demanding applications. For scalability, the SC5-FESTIVAL is also available
with a 7th Generation Intel® Core™ Kaby Lake processor.
The SC5-FESTIVAL front panel is provided with two Gigabit Ethernet jacks,
two USB 3.0 receptacles, and two DisplayPort connectors. In addition,
up to two USB Type-C front panel receptacles are available as an option,
one of them usable alternatively as (third) DisplayPort.
On-board mass-storage solutions are based on a low profile mezzanine expansion card,
which accommodates two M.2 style SSD modules.
One of the M.2 sockets is suitable for a fast NVMe (PCIe Gen3 x 4) module,
and the other for a low cost SATA type M.2 SSD.
The SC5-FESTIVAL is equipped with up to 32GB low power RAM with ECC support.
Up to 16GB memory-down are provided for rugged applications,
and another 16GB are available via the DDR4 ECC SO-DIMM socket.
The powerful Xeon® E3-1500 v6 series processor is accompanied by the CM238 mobile PCH,
for a maximum of high speed I/O resources (e.g. PCI Express®, SATA, USB).
Thus, 22 PCIe lanes are available for backplane use, and up to 8 lanes for local mezzanine expansion.
The SC5-FESTIVAL is provided with an on-board SATA hardware RAID controller,
enabling high-capacity mass storage solutions across the CompactPCI® Serial backplane.
As an option, up to eight Gigabit Ethernet Ports are available via the backplane connector P6, (low profile mezzanine expansion card).
SC5-FESTIVAL • 7th Generation Intel® XEON® E3 v6 Workstation Processor
The SC5-FESTIVAL is equipped with a set of high-speed local expansion interface connectors,
which can be optionally used to attach either a low profile mezzanine module
(fits into the 4HP front panel envelope) or a side board for an 8HP or even 12HP assembly in total.
The connectors HSE1 and HSE2 are high speed connectors, as required for
PCI Express® Gen3 and SATA 6G. The socket EXP is used as a legacy interface
(e.g. HD Audio, LPC) and not required for many mezzanine modules.
All connectors allow board-to-board heights of 9.5mm (C4* series, S20, S40),
10.8mm (S60, S80), and 18.7mm (SC* side cards 8HP assembly).
HSE1 can be configured for either 4 x PCIe or 4 x SATA, or 2 x PCIe and 2 x SATA,
thanks to the flexible HSIO channels of the CM238 PCH. When HSE1 has been setup for SATA,
the SC5-FESTIVAL can be combined e.g. with low cost SSD mass storage mezzanine modules
such as the C47-MSATA (dual mSATA carrier) or C48-M2 (dual M.2 SATA sockets).
For high performance NVMe based SSD mezzanine modules (S20/40/60) HSE1 must be configured as PCIe x 4.
HSE2 is assigned to 4 x PCIe, and in addition the 3rd DisplayPort video output.
While S20 and S60 get along with HSE1 only, the S40 and S80 mezzanine modules depend on both HSE1 and HSE2, for additional I/O.
Please refer also to
- CompactPCI® Serial (PICMG® CPCI-S.0) CPU card
- Form factor single size Eurocard (board dimensions 100x160mm2)
- Mounting height 3U
- Front panel width 4HP (8HP/12HP assembly with optional mezzanine side card)
- Front panel I/O connectors for typical system configuration (2 x USB3, 2 x DisplayPort, 2 x GbE)
- Backplane communication via PCI Express® Gen3, SATA 6G, USB 3.0, Gigabit Ethernet
- Local mezzanine expansion option, COTS and custom specific boards
- Intel® Kaby Lake-H mobile platform with ECC (CM238 mobile workstation PCH)
- Intel® Xeon® processor E3 v6 family (mobile workstation)
- Xeon E3 1505M v6 • 3/4GHz • 8M • 4C/8T • DDR4 2400 ECC • 45/35W • GT2 - P530
- Xeon E3 1505L v6 • 2.2/3GHz • 8M • 4C/8T • DDR4 2400 ECC • 25W • GT2 - P530
- Xeon E3 1501M v6 • 2.9/3.6GHz • 6M • 4C/8T • DDR4 2400 ECC • 45/35W • GT2 - P530
- Xeon E3 1501L v6 • 2.1/2.9GHz • 6M • 4C/8T • DDR4 2400 ECC • 25W • GT2 - P530
- 7th Generation Intel® Core™ mobile processor
- i3 7100E • 2.9GHz • 3M • 2C/4T • DDR4 2400 ECC • 35W • GT2 - 530
- i3 7102E • 2.1GHz • 3M • 2C/4T • DDR4 2400 ECC • 25W • GT2 - 530
- Phoenix® UEFI (Unified Extensible Firmware Interface) with CSM*
- Fully customizable by EKF
- Secure Boot and
Measured Boot supported - meeting all demands as specified by
- Windows®, Linux and other (RT)OS' supported
* CSM (Compatibility Support Module) emulates a legacy BIOS environment,
which allows to boot a legacy operating system such as DOS, 32-bit Windows and some RTOS'
- Integrated memory controller up to 32GB DDR4 2400 ECC +ECC
- DDR4 +ECC soldered memory up to 16GB
- DDR4 +ECC SO-DIMM memory module socket up to 16GB
- Integrated HD Graphics Engine, 3 symmetric independent displays
- 3D HW acceleration DirectX12, OpenCL 2.x, OpenGL 4.3/4.4, ES 2.0
- HW video decode/encode HEVC10b 10-bit, VP9 10-bit, JPEG
- HDR (High Dynamic Range) Rec. 2020 Wide Color Gamut
- Content protection
- UHD premium content playback
- Front panel options: Dual DisplayPort (DP) connectors
- 3rd DisplayPort optional via Type-C connector on low profile mezzanine card
- Max resolution 4096 x 2304 @60Hz (any DisplayPort, concurrent operation)
- DisplayPort™ 1.2 Multi-Stream Transport (MST) - display daisy chaining
- MST max resolution via single DP connector 2880x1800@60Hz (2 displays), 2304x1440@60Hz (3 displays)
- Integrated audio (3 independent audio streams)
- Intel® CM238 Mobile Workstation Platform Controller Hub (PCH)
- PCIe Gen3 8GT/s
- SATA 6G
- LPC, Audio, Legacy
On-Board Building Blocks
- Additional on-board devices, PCIe® based
- 1 x Gigabit Ethernet controller Intel® I210IT
- 1 x Gigabit Ethernet PHY Intel® I219LM
- IEEE 1588-2008 Precision Time Protocol supported including PPS and PPM signals
- SATA 6G RAID controller Marvell® 88SE9230 ARM powered subsystem for host CPU offload
- Trusted Platform Module
- TPM 2.0 for highest level of certified platform protection
- Infineon Optiga™ SLB 9665 cryptographic processor
- Conforming to TCG 2.0 specification
- AES hardware acceleration support (Intel® AES-NI)
Front Panel I/O (4HP)
- 2 x Gigabit Ethernet RJ45 (1 = PCH & I219LM - iAMT, 2 = I210IT)
- 2 x DisplayPort (from processor integrated HD graphics engine, standard latching DP receptacles
- 2 x USB 3.0
- Option 2 x Type-C USB 3.1 Gen1 (requires low profile mezzanine expansion card w. front panel I/O)
- Support for Type-C locking plugs (dual screw) according to the 'Locking Connector Spec. Rev. 1.0'
- Option DisplayPort Alt Mode on lower Type-C connector (3rd video monitor output)
CompactPCI® Serial Backplane Resources
- PICMG® CPCI-S.0 CPU card & system slot controller
- 16 x PCIe Gen3 8GT/s (2 links x 8 for two fat pipe slots, derived directly from the Intel® Xeon® or Core™ CPU
- 6 x PCIe Gen3 8GT/s (6 links x 1 for peripheral slots)
- 2 x SATA 6G (from CM238 PCH)
- 4 x SATA 6G (Marvell hardware RAID controller)
- 5 x USB2, 3 x USB3 (from CM238 PCH)
- Option 8 x Gigabit Ethernet (Marvell 88E6390 GbE switch, requires low profile mezzanine expansion card)
- Mezzanine side card connectors for local expansion
- Low profile mezzanine modules available (4HP front panel) and also side cards (8HP F/P assembly)
- P-EXP - Legacy (from PCH)
- P-HSE1 - configurable as 4 x SATA 6G or 4 x PCIe (from CM238 PCH), 1 x USB3
- P-HSE2 - 4 x PCIe (from CM238 PCH) & 3rd DisplayPort (from CPU)
- 4HP Low profile mezzanine module preferred options:
- C47-MSATA Mezzanine module - 2 x mSATA SSD sockets
- C48-M2 Mezzanine module - 2 x M.2 2280 SATA SSD sockets
- S20-NVME Mezzanine module - 1 x M.2 2280 NVMe SSD socket, 1 x Type-C USB F/P connector
- S40-NVME Mezzanine module - 1 x M.2 2280 NVMe SSD socket, 1 x M.2 2280 SATA SSD socket, 2 x Type-C USB F/P Connector (1 connector enabled for DisplayPort alternate mode)
- S80-P6 Mezzanine module - 1 x M.2 2280 NVMe SSD socket, 8 x Gigabit Ethernet via P6 backplane connector (TSN/AVB switch based solution)
- Custom specific storage & I/O mezzanine module design
- 8HP/12HP Mezzanine side card options
- Variety of side cards available (basically carrier for 2.5-inch SATA SSD) e.g. SCS-TRUMPET
- Custom specific side card design - I/O and storage
Environmental & Regulatory
- Suitable e.g. for industrial, transportation & instrumentation applications
- Designed & manufactured in Germany
- ISO 9001 certified quality management
- Long term availability
- Rugged solution
- Coating, sealing, underfilling on request
- Lifetime application support
- RoHS compliant
- Operating temperature 0°C to +70°C
- Operating temperature -40°C to +85°C (industrial temperature range) on request
- Storage temperature -40°C to +85°C, max. gradient 5°C/min
- Humidity 5% ... 95% RH non condensing
- Altitude -300m ... +3000m
- Shock 15g 0.33ms, 6g 6ms
- Vibration 1g 5-2000Hz
- MTBF 11.9 years
- EC Regulatory EN55022, EN55024, EN60950-1 (UL60950-1/IEC60950-1)
RT OS Board Support Packages & Driver
- LynxOS - on request
- On Time RTOS-32 - on request
- OS-9 - on request
- QNX 4.x, 6.x - on request
- Real-Time Linux (RT Patch) - on request
- RTX - on request
- VxWorks 5.5 & 6.9 - on request
- VxWorks 7.0 - on request
- Others - on request
While mechanically compliant to CompactPCI® Classic, CompactPCI® Serial
(PICMG® CPCIS.0) defines a completely new card slot, based on PCI Express®,
SATA, Gigabit Ethernet and USB serial data lines. Up to 6 high-speed
backplane connectors P1 - P6 are provided on a system slot controller
such as the SC5-FESTIVAL, which can be considered as a root hub with
respect to most signal lines. A passive backplane is used for distribution
of a defined subset of I/O channels from the system slot to each of up
to eight peripheral slots in a CompactPCI® Serial system.
Most CompactPCI® Serial peripheral slot cards require only the backplane
connector P1, which comprises PCIe, SATA and USB signals, resulting in a
concise and inexpensive peripheral board design. More powerful peripheral
cards profit from so called Fat Pipe slots (PCIe x 8).
The SC5-FESTIVAL is a native CompactPCI® Serial CPU card, suitable for
usage in a pure CPCI Serial environment. Due to its generous backplane
capabilities (22 x PCI Express® Gen3, 8 x USB, 6 x SATA RAID, 8 x GbE),
very powerful industrial systems can be built.
SC5-FESTIVAL • Simplified Block Diagram
SC5-FESTIVAL w. S40-NVME Low Profile Mezzanine Module
SC5-FESTIVAL w. S80-P6 Low Profile Mezzanine Module (Exploded View)
Please refer to
for popular SC5-FESTIVAL SKUs
For popular mezzanine side cards please refer to